Thursday, September 21, 2017

Eager To Oblige

Seventy days. A little over two months. That's how long we've been here, yet it feels like a lifetime ago that we packed up and left. In all of our planning to move here, I always knew there was something deeper, something bigger that God was teaching me. I knew we were about to "jump off" the cliff of security and I didn't really know what it'd be like after we let go of all that brought us comfort, security, safety, and joy. It's easy to think that God will replicate in your new place the life you had in your old place. That you'll, over time, build new relationships to replace the old, and find your way again as the new life becomes as familiar and comfortable as the old life.



But so it seems as if God is doing something new, not just in our hearts, but in our family. We've had so many firsts since moving here. It's hard for me to keep up with all of them.

Two months here have taught me so much more than I learned in the last two years. In the first chapter of Paul's letter to the Romans, Paul writes about his eagerness to fulfill his obligation to share the gospel. As I read that verse, the conviction was overwhelming. Paul was so fully aware of God's work in his life that he was eager to share the good news with others, even if it inconvenienced him.



I want to be like Paul. I want to be so aware of all that God has done for me that I'm eager to fulfill my obligation. God has shown Himself faithful time and time again. He has opened so many doors for us and shown us so much favor.





Even as we enter into familiar things, there is always an air of difference about them. We've played soccer for almost five years now, yet soccer feels different here. As we've transitioned to our new place, I've watched as my boys have grown and changed in their own ways. 


Just as their bodies are experiencing growth spurts, their spirits and emotions are, too. 
There's always an air of expectancy around our house. We sense that God is working in ways we can't even see to build His church. There are days that feel like failures. I allow a bad attitude or the lack of interaction with people cause me to waiver in my faith, yet God never stops showing up for us.






I don't think about what I left behind every day now, but there's always that something with me. That knowledge that the old is gone and the new is here. Everyday I give back the wonderful life that was given to me that I might eagerly fulfill the obligation that I have. 


So many prayers are being answered. Your prayers are being answered. So many conversations are being had with CSU students or neighbors or fellow parents or my Muslim friends all because you are faithful to pray. 

As Paul wrote to the Romans about his longing to visit with them, I write to you about my longing and eagerness to see God build His church here. The old is not being replicated. The new is here and from it, hopefully, if we eagerly fulfill our obligation to share the good news of Jesus Christ, many will become a part of the family that God gifted us with. I long for us to stand together one day and know that we are all in this together. 
We rely heavily upon your prayers. Please continue to lift us up and the work here as often as God brings us to your mind and then some. Know that He is hearing your prayers. Believe me, He is answering them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment