Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Just Quit It.

Is this parenting gig hard or what? And I only have two kids. I can only imagine what a day is like for those who have way more kids than I. A lot has been going on around here which has compounded the toughness of parenting. We are replacing the shower in our master bathroom. Really, I mean Zack is doing it and I'm checking in every now and then to see how things are going. I've been busy with some things from church, so our normal daily routine basically hasn't existed this week. Add these monsoons that we've been having that have been exchanged for blazing hot days and we've got some rowdy boys 'round here, y'all. Not just rowdy, but grumpy, too. Or maybe I'm the grumpy one!
I've had some parenting fails--someone should follow us with a camera and then upload the videos to youtube. We'd be an instant hit with the "What Not To Do When..." just fill in the blank.
Most of the time when I'm tired or distracted and one of my kids starts misbehaving or having some complex because he is shy or scared or something, I just want them to quit it. That's basically what I say, "Quit it."
Of course they just cry or things get worse and then I have to say something sarcastic because that's what sarcastic people do in awkward situations. And then that feeling washes over me and I realize that I really have zero control over how my children act. You talk them through situations, they seem to get what you're saying to them and then the situation happens and it all goes out the window and they're standing there being obstinate or crying or if they're mine--screaming. See the post about the suit fitting for proof.
And so I just pray--even harder---for wisdom and some creative way to connect with my boys besides connecting with their backsides. (wink, wink).
It's humbling to know that in reality, I can do what I know is right. I can keep working at it. Never give up trying to guide them. I can pray for them and for myself. I can show them grace and mercy and tough consequences when necessary, but ultimately I cannot completely control them.
In this, I must trust the Lord. And that's hard. But it's the right choice and so when you see me and you'll know it's me because I'll be the one with the screaming boys whom I love dearly. My heart nearly bursts open when I think about how great they are. Even when I ask them what they want to drink and they say, "Liquid." From the mouth of a three year old who is well on his way to a career in stand-up comedy.
Trusting the Lord is a tricky thing. Just when you think you're doing stinkin' awesome at it, you realize there's another area that you've taken on yourself. So here's to trusting the Lord and gritting our teeth during the tough parenting times. And so you know, I've been making a lot of cake and cupcakes around here. It's a good thing I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment