Thursday, July 14, 2016

Books and Movies for Review

Since the events of last week, I've seen a lot of my African-American friends talking about starting conversations, keeping dialogue alive. I hear them and think it's important to keep the conversation alive and to constantly seek pro-active things we can do to bridge the gap. Part of breaking through barriers is understanding why the barrier is there to begin with. Aren't we better armed with knowledge and some understanding than none at all? I think so. As the weekend is upon us, I have some suggestions for movies that you could watch. Remember they are movies, produced by Hollywood, but I've found these movies to be helpful in my quest for understanding these past two years.

12 Years A Slave
http://www.12yearsaslave.com
This story is a hard one. It is based on the true events of Solomon Northrup, a free black man who was stolen from his home and family and enslaved in the South for 12 years. I've read the book written by Northrup and found that the movie closely followed the book (something that's rare in Hollywood).
DISCLAIMER: This isn't a movie for kids or even teenagers really. There is nudity, violence and harsh scenes (all of which are recorded in the book). I probably won't show this movie to my sons until they are in college and I'll watch it with them because there will need to be lots of discussion.

Selma
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020072/
This story is not as intense as 12 Years A Slave, but there are some intense moments and if you're like me, you might find yourself yelling at the screen. It tells the story of King's march in Selma and chronicles part of the Civil Rights Movement.

If you're interested in some books to read, here are some that I've found helpful to me:

Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together In The Cafeteria
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617
This is a book written from a secular perspective, so keep that in mind if you are a believer. There is some great stuff in here that was difficult for me to read because of my black son. She presents some interesting ideas about racism and redefines some things that I think are helpful. I don't agree with everything she says, but I did learn a lot and my perspective was broadened.

Bloodlines by John Piper
http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/download-bloodlines-for-free
This is a great book written by John Piper. It's from a Biblical perspective and provides a Biblical foundation for understanding the sin of racism. I've included the link to download the book for free if you have an eReader or you can read it on your computer. It is heady and not an easy read, but worth getting through.

The Color of Water
http://www.jamesmcbride.com/the-color-of-water.html
This is a memoir by James McBride that tells the story of his Jewish mother and her life as a white woman married to a black man in the midst of the Civil Rights movement and her conversion to Christianity. When I was a high school English teacher, I taught this book to my students. I recently had a student tell me that he still remembered the book and the effect it had on his life. It's an easy read and offers insight into her story and what it was like for her raising her children in New York City during the fifties and sixties. It's an excellent read and one of my favorite books.

Thanks for going along on this journey with me. Thanks for being willing to put into action the thoughts and conversations because the talk is meaningless without the action. You all encourage me!

No comments:

Post a Comment