Friday, July 8, 2016

What Is White Privilege Really?

I am the first to confess and admit that I do not have all the answers. I don't know that I have any of them really. I only have the Word of God and the experiences of black men and women whom I respect and trust. I must also confess that my desire to begin a dialogue among people, my reason for posting anything about race is that the stakes are high for me. I have a black boy who calls me mama and I feel as if I fail him if I do not use my voice to be a part of the solution.
Part of stepping across the dividing line and seeking to understand our black brothers and sisters is admitting that white people have privilege in this country. I think the term "white privilege" is grossly misunderstood and misconstrued. I don't think I have all the answers about it, but I do want to clarify what I mean by it and how I understand it. I welcome any civil and open dialogue about it. 

White Privilege Does Not Equal Guilt. When I think of white privilege I don't think of guilt. It's not a cause and effect statement---to a degree. I do think there are instances where the white privilege of some Americans has inadvertently oppressed African-Americans. Hear me out on this one. I am a white woman. I'm also an American by birth. I did not choose to be an American. It was ordained by God that I would be born in America. Because I am an American by birth, I have privilege over people born in third world countries. I have had an easier life and have been able to accomplish a lot of things a lot easier than my brothers and sisters in third world countries.
I should not apologize for being born in America, nor should I feel guilty. Doing so would imply that God made a mistake and He does not make mistakes. Being an American by birth also doesn't imply that I am the reason the people living in third world countries are dying of hunger, struggle to find clean water, suffer from curable diseases. My American citizenship did not and does not cause this.
BUT, I do have privilege over them. I have not struggled as they have and do.
The question I must answer is what will I do with my privilege. I can continue to keep it to myself, live my simple life, or I can use it to better the lives of others. I choose the latter.

White Privilege Does Not Mean I Must Feel Guilty For Being White. I did not choose to have white skin. I have white parents and I was born of them, so I am white. Just like I didn't choose to be born in America, I didn't choose to be born white. I don't have to feel guilty for being white. Doing so would imply that God doesn't have a clue about what He's doing and I don't believe that to be true. I believe that He creates every person in His image and in some wonderful way that my finite mind cannot understand, we're all different on this planet and yet we all reflect God.
BUT because I didn't choose to be white doesn't mean my whiteness hasn't afforded me privilege or that it doesn't come with responsibility.

It comes with responsibility and an Ability to do something, to make a difference. But first I must admit it exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment