Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Referral is...

Waiting for a referral is a lot like visiting an amusement park.
Some days, you're on the Lazy River and you don't really stress over it much.
That's when you're trust in God's timing is at an all-time high.
Other days, you're on Diamondback, except you never get off and you just keep going over that huge hill and then back up again.
I'd say you're trust in God's timing is at an all-time low on those days.

A few weeks ago we received an email from our case manager telling us of a little seven month old boy in Ethiopia who was very underweight due to severe malnourishment.
He had been declined by two families already due to concerns over development.
Our case manager was emailing all of her waiting families to see who would be willing to even consider him.
We said we would...
Then she said that other families ahead of us had said they would too, so we'd see what happened.
Either we'd hear another family had accepted him or she'd refer him to us.

Of course a lot of thoughts and emotions went through our heads. Is this the boy God has chosen for us?
What does it say about us if we decline him?
It's a lot of stuff to think about and pray about.

It made me think...Am I really willing to help the "least of these"? Am I really willing to have my comfortable life made less comfortable?

We finally decided that we would definitely consider him and see how God directed us.

Several weeks went by and I began to think of how sad it was that he had probably been declined by other families.
And how thankful I was that I didn't have to be perfect for God to choose me. I didn't have to be the right weight or height.
I didn't have to have the right amount of intelligence or meet all the developmental achievements for my age group.
He just chose me.

Then...we heard that a family had accepted him!
We rejoiced (though I was a little disappointed that he wouldn't be mine) that he had found a family and would be moved to the transition home where he could receive better medical care and enough food.

And...we're back to waiting, but you know Abraham and Sarah waited a REALLY long time for their promised child, so what's a few months or a year?



No comments:

Post a Comment