Thursday, July 24, 2014

Chore Charts and Kool-Aid

I'm a fan of kool-aid. I drank a lot of it when I was growing up, but I'm not a fan of Kool-aid on my carpet and well...that's the sweet gift the Sons of Thunder gave me this past Saturday. I walked in to discover a red Kool-aid spill about the size of a mighty watermelon. I died a little as I thought about the permanence of it. Would I get it up? Was my carpet cleaner strong enough to suck the red Kool-aid out of my carpet? 
Well, turns out it was and there is only a faint pinkness to the carpet now. I might be the only person who sees the pinkness because the image of that red stain is burned into my brain.
This fun time called for swift action by Dad who quickly instated the "No food or drink other than water on the carpet from here on." We've abided by this rule this week obligingly, probably because the boys still remember the look on my face when I discovered the spill.
But today, John Owen, Mr. Strongwilled Child USA asked for a snack of goldfish, which I obliged and then watched as he marched into the family room. I called him back to the kitchen with our faux tile and asked him to eat his snack in the kitchen. A few minutes later I discovered him sitting like this.
I give you John Owen's form of obedience. He's on the carpet, but his snack is on the faux tile. To him, he's obeying. He's an adventure!
He's really into chores now. I'm milking it for all it's worth and I've even purchased these handy little chore charts and magnets with neat little pictures on them. The kids really enjoy doing their chore and then pushing their magnet to the Done side of their chore chart.
They're assigned things like Brushing their teeth or making their beds, which is fun to watch them do and conquer on their own. Boyhood is rapidly approaching for both of them, if it's not already knocking at our door. And then...sigh...time is a dirty dog stealing the steak off the grill!
John Owen' bed he made all by himself. 
I hope they love The Lord one day and I hope they are both hard workers even when chores become just that...chores.




No comments:

Post a Comment