Monday, July 28, 2014

Cupcakes and Boys

Over there you can barely make out my stand mixer. My plan was to make cupcakes in that stand mixer, but as is the norm around here whenever my boys notice, which is always, that I've switched activties and am about to do something new, they flock to me, buzzing around like a bunch of flies wanting to be involved.
Sweet, right? Of course it is and I soak up every moment that they want to be with me. Every moment like when I go to the bathroom or get in the shower or brush my teeth or step outside on the porch to have an adult conversation on the phone. They have a sixth sense that is better named the Mommy Homing Device. They just know, like I know the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, that mommy is about to do SOMETHING. It doesn't have to be something fun or entertaining, but just something.
So Saturday this mommy decided to make peach cupcakes with cream cheese and peach compote in the center and peach curd in the batter topped off with cinnammon cream cheese icing---ALL. FROM. SCRATCH.
I'm not yelling that so you'll think I'm awesome, but because I have two very hands on boys and they of course wanted to "help" me. Help being a word I use loosely. 
So it all began with them fighting over who was going to do what and who was going to stand in what chair and pour which flour and stir which pot, etc., etc., etc.
John Owen is complaining her about how he never gets to do anything, but as you can see, he's a liar because he's the one operating the mixer. You get a great view of James' high and tight in this picture. The sleeveless shirt adds to this vintage look he has going on. By the way, the late eighties called us and asked for its hairstyle back. All he needs is a boombox.
They took turns manning the stirring detail of the peach curd. And then...they disappeared...well sorta disappeared.
They started playing with their blankets which they do often. They really enjoy rough housing each other and so they covered themselves in a blanket and started stumbling all over the kitchen bumping into each other like padded bumper cars. Surprisingly they collided knocking one another down on the floor. Wonder how they managed that with blankets over their heads? wink, wink
And then the cupcakes were finished another hour later after a trip to the grocery in between baking and icing and maybe a stop by the horrible, horrendous, non-real food fast food joint commonly referred to as Mickey D's. 
It takes  A LOT longer to do my domestic tasks when these two cats are helping, but I hope they'll learn, as I did as a young girl helping my mom, the importance of keeping a home and of helping others even if you do stop occasionally to play a little blanket bumper cars.


No comments:

Post a Comment