Monday, August 18, 2014

Bottomless PIts and 'Merica



What? Your children don't hold American Flags out of the window while you're driving down the road? Mine do. Maybe they're really Patriotic or Proud to be an American and all that Lee Greenwood jazz. Or maybe it's just fun to hold things out of the window and let's be honest...I'd rather they hold an object that's NOT attached to their body than lose a hand or arm to some passing vehicle/wall/pole. I may be the only person who worries that my small children with equally small appendages are at risk of having them knocked off by some passing car or truck while we're driving down the road. They are probably more likely to be eaten by zombies, but while I don't admonish them for riding on top of their toy cars or for riding their toys down the driveway at mach nine speeds, I draw the line at holding your arms and hands out of the window! Even if fully extended their arms barey reach past the window.
You can just make him out back there celebratin' 'Merica. He may or may not be channeling his inner Bruce Springsteen---"Born in the USA." That woud be ironic!
This guy is loving school. It's a full-on "Is today a school day, when am I going to school, I can't wait to go to school, oh I'm going to school tomorrow why of course I'll go to bed early with no fuss" type of love affair and, well, I'm kind of digging it. It's funny how much joy a person can find in another person's joy. I really, really like how much he likes it and that he has so much fun and those feelings overshadow my feelings of angst that he's growing up so fast. 

And this guy is now a teenager. Just like that! Lounging on the couch with his blanket, laid back with his mind on his chew stick and his chew stick in his mouth! Plus a little Mickey Mouse! All he needs to do now is sit around in his underwear and burb the alphabet!
Both of my boys are currently starving. Like literally starving. If you ask them, they will say they are starving and we need to call Feed the Children, Feed America or any other benevolent agency and get them some food!
This was a snack before their dinner which was minutes away from being ready and by minutes, I really mean twenty to thirty, but they COULD NOT wait!
I immediately channelled my inner Wilford Brimley and began lecturing about the many, many children and people in the world who REALLY are starving and have no food for many days to which they replied, "Can I have a snack?"
I guess I'll be looking for a part-time job to help support the grocery bill for these two cats!
In the meantime, we're busy getting schooled and learning to hang with mommy. John Owen's birthday is in August---the end of August and he's been marking down the days the big day! The two circles on the calendar are "Yays" for the days he goes to school. I dig his eye for the abstract! In the meantime, you'll probably catch us rolling down the street flying flags out our windows! 




No comments:

Post a Comment