Monday, August 4, 2014

Peach Butts and Opposite Day

Today has been Opposite Day here at the Thurman house. Actually this entire weekend has been Opposite Day. I don't mean some fun, creative day where we all swap roles or wear our shirts as pants and our pants as shirts. (Does that really happen?) But Opposite Day here is when the Sons of Thunder do the exact opposite of what I say. 
Example One: Smile while I take a picture of you.
James' clearly interpreted this to mean, "Don't smile and hold your hand out to indicate you don't want a picture taken of you."
We clearly are still having some language barriers. (I kid. I kid.)
John Owen's interpretation of "Smile while I take a picture of you."
I believe I'm raising some abstract artists around here. As a sidenote, yes that is a basket of laundry that I DID NOT get folded today. I, too am practicing Opposite Day.
Opposite Day was also practiced when getting in and out of the Jeep. 
Example Two: "C'mon and get out so we can get in the store and get our errands done."
Of course whenever you mention the words "C'mon" or "Hurry" that internal switch inside of every kid is flipped and they immediately proceed to do whatever they are engaged in at the slowest possible speed or pace.
This happens so often at my house that I've often wondered if my kids really are tortoise people. You know the kind. Those people who just naturally talk and walk slowly. The kind you hate to engage in conversation because it will take literally an eternity for them to finish speaking or even worse get behind them walking in the mall and you know you'll be stalling near the food court until they make it past Journey or Aveda. You might as well put your engine in neutral and coast through the mall.
But I've discovered proof that my children are NOT tortoise people and they can INDEED hurry when they take the notion.
Here they are coming back from running sprints in front of our house. That's right, I said sprints. And they were very fast I might add.
So I guess it's just figuring out how to persuade them to "take the notion" to move it along when I'm in a hurry, or we could just be the tortoise people because in reality, we are "those people". Get behind us on a set of stairs and you'll gain a few pounds, go gray and qualify for AARP before you make it down the first flight.
So I appoligize for us tortoise people and I seek to embrace a slower pace and I console myself because at least we aren't "those" people who post odd pictures on Facebook and with that I leave you with one and hope it makes you laugh heartily.
Those are peaches in women's underwear. Marinate on that!



No comments:

Post a Comment