Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Vast History

Today was a "free" day. We didn't get to go to the orphanage to see James, so we hired a driver named Dawit. He took us to some historical sites. We saw the Entoto Mountains and the Lucy museum. If you aren't familiar with Lucy, you should google her. She is supposedly the oldest homo sapien. It was interesting to see her fossil remains. Our driver was excited to show us the museum, which was neat.
We didn't argue with the assumption that Lucy is 3.3 million years old. It wasn't the time or place. We really got to know Dawit, which was interesting to us.
Tonight we visited a traditional Ethiopian restaurant where Ethiopians performed traditional dances and sung traditional songs. My stomach is weak--really weak, but I have eaten Ethiopian food twice today.
I may not eat anything else this trip. Lol
I want to soak in as much of Ethiopia as I can. I want to be able to remember for James because he won't.
I wish you all were here with me because I cannot find the words to explain it. There is no type of poverty in the States that comes close to what I have seen, except for spiritual poverty. That is world-wide.
I've met some incredible people who will be life-long friends. I wish you could know them.
Tomorrow we visit James in the morning for a few hours and then we have court at 2pm Ethiopian time which is 6am Eastern Standard time. If you're up say a prayer that our adoption is finalized tomorrow. I'm posting some pictures from the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment