Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Waiting Game Round Two

As we celebrated Thanksgiving, we were overwhelmed with thankfulness at all that God had done. It seems surreal to me now to think that just a few weeks ago, I was in Ethiopia meeting Melaku for the first time. Time surely does go by quickly.
We learned today that our court decree in Ethiopia has been finished and picked up. Now a birth certificate is being prepared for Melaku. Ethiopia is not like the United States; people are not issued birth certificates at the time of birth or even after. Most do not have birth certificates. It's just a difference in culture and lifestyle. (Not worse or better---just different.)
So, once his birth certificate is processed, an official working on his behalf will apply for an Ethiopian passport. Once he gets this, we can be submitted to the US Embassy for citizenship and a visa.
We are estimating that we could possibly be submitted to Embassy in two weeks.
After we are submitted to Embassy, it will most likely take another four weeks for the Embassy to "do their thang". It could be shorter or it could take longer. One thing I've learned and heard time and time again from other adoptive parents---there ain't no rushin' the Embassy. Don't even try--Don't even call and ask. Just let them be and practice putting on patience. (Lol) Apparently, they get really grumpy if you call and check on the status of your child's visa, etc.
Hopefully, we'll be traveling back to Ethiopia in January.
My prayer is that Melaku will be home before his first birthday which is January 23rd.
I wish I had something more exciting to report, but life is just life right now as we play the waiting game again.
I will say that the wait for a referral was much, much harder than this wait. I feel like I see a light at the end of the tunnel now.
This Christmas will be two years since we decided to pursue adoption. Two years---it's hard to believe it's been that long, but God has been so faithful throughout and I've learned so much about Him and His love and patience for us.

On a side note--John Owen is incredibly funny. He is either cracking me up or driving me nuts! He's taken to sitting around naked--completely naked. It makes it interesting when we have visitors.

I'm feeling very blessed and so incredibly blessed by all of you.
We are so thankful to have you on this journey with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment