Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Woman Whose Daughter Died

Originally published October 19, 2010
Two truths and a Lie--it's a game I've played with middle school students to break the ice or help us get to know each other.
My truths:
I had a daughter--she died.
God's ways are better than my ways.
My Lie:
Life is back to normal.
One of the things I've always noticed about death is that life always goes on. It's always seemed to me very odd that the world just keeps going, that people just keep going about their usual everyday lives when someone special has left this world.
Now, I don't think it should be any other way.
There are many examples in the Bible of Jesus telling people to basically let the dead bury the dead. That statement seems so radical to us and an unfamiliar sentiment to think "Let the dead bury the dead." Well, for one how can a dead person bury a dead person?!
But I think what he meant, or at least part of what he meant is that we can't be bogged down in this life or the things of this world.
That's been my goal throughout this process--to focus on God and to hopefully glorify Him.
I'll have to say that it's harder now that Ella Grace is gone and things have "gotten back to normal" than it was in the midst of carrying her and thinking constantly about what the future held.
Why is it harder now to seek first to glorify God? Why do I want to look at footprints and think of what might have been and what I've lost? Why do I still find myself tearing up in Kroger when the pharmacist asks me why I'm still taking a prenatal vitamin and when I begin to explain my story she cuts me off?
With the passing of each day Ella Grace's memory moves farther away. Soon she will be a distant memory for most and I will be the woman whose daughter died because a lot of times we are defined by the tragedies that have occurred to us.
I hope my afflictions are eclipsed by Glory and though it's impossible for people not to see the hurt, I hope they see Him--really see Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment